Services and Support
- ActivStyle specializes in providing on-time home delivery of the medical supplies you use every day.
- ASK (Access for Special Kids) Family Resource Center
Connect to strategy, training, and education programs
- Families with children who have disabilities can access the F.I.N.D database which connects families with similar experiences and interests.
- Awaken Family Chiropractic*
- Awaken Family Chiropractic provides chiropractic care for the entire family! Specializing in pediatrics, pregnancy and family wellness, with an emphasis on neuro-developmental disorders, ADHD, sensory processing disorders, autism and other complex pediatric cases.
- Camp Courageous
- Camp Courageous of Iowa is a year-round respite care and recreational facility for individuals of all ages with disabilities. The camp was established in 1972 with the first 211 campers attending in the summer of 1974. Today, Camp Courageous serves nearly 7,000 individuals with disabilities are served in a year-round program.
- Camp Lee Mar*
- Lee Mar is a private 7 week residential summer program for campers 7-21. They bring many innovations to the field of camping for children with special needs.
- Center for Disabilities and Development
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
Works with people with disabilities, their family members, providers, state and local agencies, and others every day. Their goal is to improve the health and community participation of people with disabilities.
- Disability Rights Iowa
Law Center of Protection and Advocacy
- Disability Rights IOWA aims to defend and promote the human and legal rights of Iowans who have disabilities and mental illness. We promote safety, opportunity, access, and self-determination for all Iowans.
- Discovery Living Inc*
- Helping adults with intellectual disabilities live successful, satisfying lives in the mainstream of the community. Providing group home living.
- Early Access
- Iowa’s system of early intervention services for infants and toddlers with or at risk for developmental delays. Connect to free statewide information and referral services.
- Frank A. Varvaris and Associates*
- Providing clients with specialized Estate Planning, Financial Planning, and Benefits Planning Assistance to more favorably impact their lives and enhance their well being.
- Help With Paying Bills
- A compiled directory of bills assistance programs. Helping low income families with finding financial assistance programs that help with utility, energy, rent and medical bills.
- Iowa Assistive Technology Professional Development Network
- Offers training on assistive technology, primarily for work and school, in the form of webinars and short weekly videos for professionals, parents and individuals with disabilities.
- Iowa COMPASS
- A free database service that connects people with disabilities to over 50 different types programs and services. Talk with an information specialist to be matched with a specific program or service. Also includes a listing of used assistive technology equipment for sale.
- Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Assists individuals with disabilities with employment and economic independence. Determines eligibility of Iowa residents who apply for disability benefits under SSDI.
- Options of Linn County*
- Options of Linn County provides Day Habilitation and Pre-Vocational services to adults with disabilities as a department of Linn County Community Services.
- REM Iowa*
Provides quality services to adults and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities and other complex challenges. We also offer services for adults with brain injuries and provide a range of programs, including residential services and day and vocational programs.
- Tanager Place’s Autism Spectrum Therapy Program
- Provides mental health diagnosis, assessment and treatment by boarded certified staff. Tanager Place offers the clinically proven treatment option Applied Behavior Analysis for autism spectrum disorders. Services covered by private insurance, Medicaid, and a sliding fee scale for families who qualify.
- The Guided Tour*
- The focus of The Guided Tour is to provide a growth-producing experience for our travelers, in which they are able to travel and socialize independent of their families. The Guided Tour staff make sure our travelers not only have their independence, but they also make sure our travelers have assistance with money, medication, and of course, a fantastic memorable vacation!
- Alliance for the Mentally Ill
- Provides education and support programs.
- Autism Society of East Central Iowa
- Information about local meeting groups, video presentations about autism therapy, and other related activities and resources.
- Asperger Syndrome Support Group
- There is a group that meets in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids
- Birth Injury Center
- A comprehensive website dedicated to promoting awareness of common birth injuries and their causes. Their mission is to help users find helpful information on devastating birth injuries and their symptoms, causes, and treatment options.
- Brain Injury Association of America
- Describes the many symptoms and issues that may accompany a brain injury.
Offers information about how to connect to supports and resources.
- Cerebral Palsy Group
Cerebral Palsy Group provides educational information and support to those who have been affected by cerebral palsy.
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance
- Provides information on cerebral palsy symptoms to financial assistance to daily living articles. Covers all aspects of cerebral palsy.
- Cerebral Palsy Guide
- Provides free educational information, financial options, and emotional support for parents and children affected by cerebral palsy.
- Cerebral Palsy Information
- Provides information on Cerebral Palsy, Erb’s Palsy and Other Birth Injuries.
- Hawkeye Area Down’s Syndrome Association
- Our goal is to provide education, support and advocacy to those individuals, their friends, families, and professionals in the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids area that are blessed by Down Syndrome.
- Iowa Department of Elder Affairs
- A local Cedar Rapids agency dedicated to helping aging adults to remain independent in their homes, thereby reducing the risk of premature and unnecessary nursing home placement. The Iowa Department of Aging is the state-wide agency with some similar programs.
- National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health
The National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health is a national family-run organization linking more than 120 chapters and state organizations focused on the issues of children and youth with emotional, behavioral, or mental health needs and their families.
- The Arc of the US*
The Arc is the largest national community-based organization advocating for and serving people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. We encompass all ages and more than 100 different diagnoses including autism, Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, and various other developmental disabilities.
- United Cerebral Palsy
Life without limits for people with disabilities
- UCP educates, advocates and provides support services to ensure a life without limits for people with a spectrum of disabilities. UCP works to advance the independence, productivity and full citizenship of people with disabilities through an affiliate network that has helped millions.
Information and News
- An on-line magazine that addresses issues and provides resources for people affected by or caring for those with ADHD.
- Disability Dot Gov
- A national website “connecting the disability community to information and resources.”
- Disability Resource Library
- Located at the University of Iowa Hospital, the collection focuses on information regarding disabilities. Over half of the items can’t be found in any other library in Iowa.
- Disability Scoop
- A conglomerate of recent developmental disability stories in the news.
- Fire Safety For People With Disabilities: A Reference Guide
- To provide safety measures for those living at home with a disability by offering escape plans; some modern phone applications for alerting the authorities in case of danger; as well as solutions to a variety of scenarios that might befall the disabled.
- Friendship Circle Blog
- Offers a number of online special needs resources including a blog with over 1,000 articles on special needs parenting, products, therapy and more. Also offers information about special needs apps.
- Introduction to Intellectual Disabilities
- Effects on behavior and a brief comparison to developmental disabilities.
- The Arc’s Action Center
- Stay up to date on what is going on in Congress and how it impacts people with I/DD. Advocates receive a weekly policy newsletter and get action alerts that give a direct course of action, talking points, and background on breaking policy related issues.
- Traveling with a Medical Condition
- The essential guide to traveling with a medical condition or disability.
Local Community Resources
- 2-1-1 Information – United Way of East Central Iowa
- A free, confidential service that connects families and individuals to services that can help to stabilize them while meeting basic needs.
- Linn County Community Resource Sheets
- A comprehensive listing of human service resources in Linn County.
- *Also a supporter of The Arc of East Central Iowa